Program Changes

If you choose to change your class schedule after a semester begins, this is called a “program change.” There are many reasons why students make these changes, such as inconvenient course times, a change of academic interest, or an illness or family emergency.

During the first week of the semester, you can use Schedule Builder to make program changes including dropping a course, changing a class section, or adding a course, assuming that the section you want to add isn’t full. During the second week of the semester, you can no longer add new classes or change to a different section of a class, but you can still drop classes. Check the current semester’s Academic Calendar for the exact dates when these changes can still be made.

There is no academic penalty for making schedule changes during the Program Change period, and courses that you drop will not appear on your transcript. However, there are consequences you should understand.

  • First, a Program Change Fee (currently $18) will be assessed.
  • Second, if you drop a class and don’t replace it by adding a new class, you will receive only a partial reimbursement of tuition for the dropped class, or no reimbursement if you are a full-time student paying the in-state tuition rate.
  • Third, and most importantly, dropping a course without replacing it will reduce the number of credits that you are taking. This could affect the amount of tuition that you have to pay and the amount of Financial Aid that you receive. It also means that it will take longer for you to graduate.

Consult the Financial Aid Office to understand the impact of dropping a class.

Withdrawing from a Course After the Program Change Period

If you must withdraw from a course after the Program Change period ends, complete the steps outlined in Section 1-E. Consult both financial and academic advisors before withdrawing from a course and ask them to help you weigh the consequences.

For step-by-step instructions on using Schedule Builder to Drop or Withdraw from a class, consult this Student Guide. The deadline to Withdraw from a class is the last day before the Final Exam period begins, and is indicated on the Academic Calendar.

Changing Majors

It is not uncommon for students to realize a different area of study is more interesting or relevant to their personal goals and decide to change their major. Each semester, the Registrar’s Office will accept requests to change majors (officially called a Change of Curriculum) up until the deadline indicated on the Academic Calendar. However, every department has its own criteria for acceptance into its majors. Students requesting a change in major must consult the department of their intended new major to learn and understand the requirements specific to that major.

For some majors, you may need to take preliminary courses before the intended department will consider the change. Some majors may also require specific academic targets, such as a minimum GPA of 3.0.

If you have consulted with an advisor in the new department and decided to apply to change your major, visit the Important Forms section of the Registrar’s website and download the Change of Curriculum form. Follow the instructions to complete and submit the form online.

Remember, the extra time, work, and tuition required to finish this new degree path will be worth it in the long run if you have discovered something you love doing. However, a change in major may significantly delay your graduation, so this is a decision that should be made thoughtfully.




Icon for the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License

The Companion for the First Year at City Tech Copyright © by Office of First Year Programs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License, except where otherwise noted.

Share This Book